Ribbon Cutting Set for August 15th
The meeting for August 2007 was called to order August 4th by Club President Earl Blanchette at 10:34.
The minutes for July 2007 were presented. Two corrections were noted:
- Neal Locke has sent out EMs to the membership re: Train Show volunteer positions, not Noel Cowling
- Ed Neill said they typically give away 200 tickets to the Train Show, not 20
Trace Bowen made a motion to accept the minutes as corrected. Mike Ross seconded and the motion passed.
The Treasurer’s report for July 2007 was submitted and read. Kennedy Gauger made a motion to accept, Craig Lancaster seconded, and the report was accepted.
- Train Show update
Mike Cleveland sent an EM to the club membership on 7/28 re: Banquet RSVPs. Neal Locke reviewed the train show volunteer schedule. Members were asked to review the schedule and initial acknowledgement of their assigned slots. Neal said he would send copies of the schedule by mail to the members without EM to review their assignments. Any changes to the schedule should be finalized by August Run Day.
If someone is unable to fill their assigned slot, they should call the Train Show Chair or Co-Chair: Mike Cleveland or Jim Bush.
Mike said that on Friday, September 14th there will be two teams to help with setup – The Vendor Setup Team and the Layout Setup Team. This concept worked very well last year.
- Raffle Layout Update.
The layout is on display in the club. Bill Lancaster and Mike Ross have been working on scenery.
- Temple Mall Display.
Bill Lancaster said everything is a GO for the mall display. The display will be located by Fuddruckers. Friday, August 24th, the HO (8’x16-24’) and O (6’x20’) modular layouts will setup. The Raffle Layout and a table for selling raffle tickets will complete the display. Members interested in participating should contact Bill or Earl Blanchette.
- Pre-Sale Tickets.
Ed Neill said he had pre-sale tickets for $3 and raffle tickets available. Companies wanting a tax deductible contribution should make their checks payable to the Temple Parks Foundation.
- Train Show Publicity Report.
Ed Neill said that everything is in place for coverage in the Temple Telegram. Channel 6 will run 35 spots the week before the show. Two ads were placed with the Cow Catcher and one has already run so far. Jerry Johnson has place an ad with a Waco Tribune special publication. Ed said he has also invited the media to Friday’s train show setup after 3:00 PM to help with pre-show publicity. Jim Bush said the show is listed in all the Kalmbach publications – Model Railroading, Classic Toy Trains, and Garden Railways.
- Train Show Clinic Update.
Joe Pyland reported that Kennedy Gauger will be giving a clinic on Maintaining Rolling Stock. Wayne Snyder will be coming to help with Joes’s clninics. Clark Overman will be helping Ron Miller with his module clinics. Someone is still needed to run the Intro to Model Railroading video at 3:30 PM on Saturday.
- Train Show Banquet Update.
Dan Ladd said they have 92 RSVPs so far. Special guests have until August 15th to RSVP. Mike Cleveland said he wanted to have the head count finalized by September 1st. Jim Bush said he had received a firm count of 35 attendees from his phone call in may to the layout exhibitors.
Betty Neal has arranged for a plaque with engraved name plates to recognize past train show coordinators. Individuals will also receive a certificate being prepared by Laurie Cleveland at an award presentation to be held at the banquet. The banquet will end at 9:00 PM and the depot will be open to visitors until 10:00 PM.
- The award winning modules are still scheduled to be on display at the show.
- The RRHM will have a book signing on Saturday, August 11 from 2:00 – 4:00 PM. The club will be open on the second Saturday of the month from 1:00 – 4:00 PM. Any interested members should come on down to run trains and welcome visitors.
- Grant update.
All of the required documents were sent to the ER Carpenter Foundation and they are just waiting for the funds to arrive.
- Saw replacement.
Ed Neill made a motion to replace Buddy Burk’s saw for up to $200. Mike Ross seconded and the motion passed.
- The Temple Chamber of Commerce will host the ribbon cutting event on August 15th at 10:00 AM. Bill Lancaster has sent out VIP invitations. Bill made a motion to for the club to purchase refreshments for the event. Joe Pyland seconded and the motion passed. Members that come to attend the event should park to the North or West of the depot.
- Betty Neill reminded the membership that they need to clean up their layout areas and put stuff away under the layouts.
- Neal Locke made new name tags for Dick Copeland, Bill Jones, Keith Nonnemacher, Kyle Penn, Bradley Linda, Jeffrey Govin, Homer Martin, and Jeff Oliver. They are posted on the name tag board.
- Kennedy Gauger made a motion to move the September Business Meeting to September 8th so as to not interfere with the Mall display. Trace Bowen seconded and the motion passed. Mike Cleveland said that all the packets for the train show will also need to be assembled that day.
- Dan Ladd mentioned that Dave Krause, RRHM Director, is interested in joining CentraMod and had asked if the membership forms were on the website. The consensus of the membership was to put the CentraMod Application for Membership and How to Be a Good CentraMod Member forms on the website.
The meeting adjourned at 11:45.